A seven-year-old boy dies after being infected with a rare brain-eating parasite in Lake California
- His family said David Pruitt, seven, died of Naegleria Follieri on July 30
- It is believed that he contracted the parasite from a lake in Tihama Province
- David’s death comes just one year after the death of a six-year-old boy in Texas of the same breed
- Infections of Naegleria fowleri are rare, according to the CDC, with only 34 infections reported in the United States from 2010 to 2019.
A seven-year-old boy died after being infected with a rare, brain-eating parasite transported in water from a lake in California late last month.
David Pruitt died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, known as PAM, on July 30 after being hospitalized the same day in Tihama County, his aunt Crystal Hayley said. CBS News.
The Pruitt family confirmed the boy’s death on August 7.
The family wrote: ‘We are heartbroken and heartbroken to have reported the death of our lovely little David’ GoFundMe.
He is now in the arms of our loving Lord and our family members who have passed before him. We rejoice to know he is no longer in pain and in the best care.
According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the parasite in question, called Naegleria fowleri, is usually caught once contaminated water enters the body through the nose.
David Pruitt (pictured) died after being hospitalized on July 30 due to a rare brain-eating parasite
Naegleria fowleri (pictured) is usually contracted once the contaminated water enters the body through the nose, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The killer amoeba is often found in warm, fresh bodies of water such as rivers or lakes, but many cases have been reported while swimming in poorly treated pools.
“Once the amoeba gets in the nose, it travels to the brain where it causes rheumatoid arthritis, which is usually fatal,” she added.
The CDC reports that those infected with the parasite initially experience severe headaches, nausea, and vomiting. Those who have had it have also reported a stiff neck and even hallucinations and seizures as the infection worsens.
Hayley added that the family “wanted people to be aware of this amoeba and the signs of disease.”
David’s death came nearly a year after a six-year-old Texan boy, Josiah McIntyre, died in September 2020 after being infected with the same strain of the parasite either in a Lake Jackson waterboard or hose in his family’s home, CBS News I mentioned at the time.
Josiah McIntyre (pictured) was just six years old when he was infected with the same deadly parasite as David Pruitt in September 2020
Three samples of contaminated water taken from the Lake Jackson splash pad were tested by the CDC two weeks after McIntyre’s death, and eventually all three tested positive for the deadly bacteria.
Days after McIntyre’s tragic death, his mother recounted the life her son lived.
‘He was an active little boy,’ said Maria Castillo CNN in time. He was a really good big brother. He just loved and cared for so many people.
Naegleria fowleri infection is rare, according to the CDC, with only 34 infections reported in the United States from 2010 to 2019.
And in California, only 10 cases have been reported since 1971, according to an August 4 news release by the Tihama County Health Services Agency.
Lake Jackson September 2020 press release following the death of 6-year-old Josiah McIntyre